Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
The Afternoon Sports Beat - JimTraber.com
 Jim Traber Forum : Jim Traber - Talk Radio : The Afternoon Sports Beat - JimTraber.com
Message Icon Topic: For he is Traber, lord of the idiots Post Reply Post New Topic
OKCJim
Yard Bird
Yard Bird

Online Status: Offline
Quote OKCJim Replybullet Topic: For he is Traber, lord of the idiots
    Posted: 17 August 2009 at 7:54am

http://www.dailythunder.com/?p=3964

Don't agree with him but I thought I would share.

For he is Traber, lord of the idiots

Oh boy. Well didnít this turn out nicely.

If you havenít been following, The Oklahomanís *finest* writer, Jenni Carlson, wrote a column about Nick Collisonís Twitter and the supposed backhanded slaps at Oklahoma City hidden within. As a result local radio host Jim Traber, has decided to ďdeclare war on Nick CollisonĒ and vowed to run him out of town. Seriously. Then Nick, being the awesome dude that he is, called in to Traberís show and put him on the spot about it. (You can listen to Jim and Nick here.)

Whew. Deep breath. So thatís where we stand.

First off, Iím embarrassed. Iím embarrassed that it came to this. Collison tweeted a few things, Jenni Carlson wrote a wandering, pointless column about it and then Jim Traber decided to do what he does best Ė yell at everyone. And as a result, freaking Nick Collison felt compelled to call in and defend himself for this insanity. Is this really happening? Where am I? What year is it?

What sucks most, is that a guy like Traber is one of the main voices for our great state. Itís like he thinks he speaks for all of us. I appreciate Jim taking up the torch and feeling the need to defend us. I think thatís what he thinks heís doing. His heart is in the right place. He challenged Ric Bucher about Bill Simmonsí shenanigans a couple months ago and I liked that. I really appreciate Traber sticking up for the city and not letting people walk all over us. Saaaa-lute.

But this was just the wrong battle to fight. It was over a couple Twitter messages - ĒI see itís 105 in OKC todayÖ sounds niceĒ  Ė and other things like that. Thatís it. Weather commentary. You would have thought Nick tweeted, ďIn Seattle (the place I wish I still played professional basketball) loving my life. Pissed that I have to go back to the wasteland that is Oklahoma in two months.Ē But all he said was that itís hot in OKC and a nice day in Seattle. Ho-ly crap.

Then it all came to a head when Nick said, ďDISCLAIMER (the following is in no way shape or form commentary on Oklahoma City) ÖÖ.butÖ..  its another beautiful day in Seattle.Ē Jim must have trouble with things like ďsarcasmĒ and ďcomedy.Ē CLEARLY Nick is making light of the situation. CLEARLY Nick is just tossing out a little joke. But no. Traber took that as yet another pseudo shot at OKC. And then we all jumped on the train to Psychoville and wound up here.

Traber is like a jealous child thatís ready to snap at anything. Heís so oversensitive to anything Seattle that because Collison complemented the city he lives in, Traber took that as a jab at OKC. If Nick lived in San Francisco and said, ďWhat a sweet day in San FranÖ I love living here,Ē would anyone have cared? So what that he chooses to live in Seattle? Iíve never been but I hear itís an awesome town. This just has nothing to do with basketball. HE JUST LIVES THERE AND LIKES IT. What is so wrong with that? Even if Nick secretly hates OKC and wishes every night the team hadnít moved, his play on the court never reflected it. And isnít that what matters? He gets on the floor, takes charges, makes hustle plays and does the little things you love. You think he wouldíve been on the deck against Toronto wrestling the ball away from Chris Bosh and spurring OKC to victory if he hated this place? And as long as that continues, he can get a tattoo of the Space Needle on his face for all I care.

Heck, I understand if Nickís a little miffed about moving. He was one of the longest tenured Sonics that had to move to OKC. He was drafted by them. He played there for five seasons. He made his home there. Iím sure he felt an attachment to the city and its people and rightly so. So when he was asked if he was sad the team was leaving last year, Iím glad he was honest and said heíd rather stay. Because that was the truth and itíd be crazy if he said otherwise. Of all people, Traber ought to ďgive it upĒ to him for his great morals and for being an upstanding individual. But again, Nickís comments werenít an indictment on OKC. Itís just that heíd rather have stayed in Seattle. Which is fine. I bet when players get traded, theyíre sad about leaving. Same thing here. But that doesnít mean they donít appreciate their new city.

Itís just all so ridiculous that it even came to this. Traberís ego doesnít help. Whatís sad is that he thinks he actually has the power to run someone out of town. Yeah, like Sam Presti gives two craps about Nick Collisonís preferred living situation. All Presti cares about is if Nick can handle Dirk Nowitzki in the post. Nick has never had anything but nice things to say about Oklahoma City. Traber is trying to make this into a Seattle vs. OKC thing when nothing is there. Thereís no controversy. What happened in 2008 doesnít matter. What Nick said in 2008 doesnít matter. What Nick tweeted last week doesnít matter. What matters is that he currently plays basketball for the Oklahoma City Thunder and does a pretty good job of it.

You know what Jeff Capel tweeted today? ďItís such a beautiful day in North Carolina!!!!!!Ē OH CRAP DOES JEFF HATE OKLAHOMA AND THIS IS HIS VEILED WAY OF TELLING US QUESTION MARK? I mean, how ridiculous is it to deduce that from Capelís message? So why, oh why, are we doing it with Nick?

Traber, youíve embarrassed me for taking such a bold, ridiculous stance on this non-issue and I pray that Nick Collison doesnít hate this entire state because of you. Youíve gone way too far this time. I can get over you yelling over some poor guy and calling him a FOOL 25 times in 15 seconds because he thinks bunting to break up a no-hitter is acceptable. I can live with you preaching to everybody about morality and the correct way to live as you see it. I can live with you constantly reminding me that youíve done radio for 25 years and played Major League Baseball for three very unproductive seasons. I can hanlde all of those things. But when you take up these causes and as a result, embarrass me and make me worry about the perception of sports fans in this state, well, then youíve gone too far.

The funny thing is, I agree with Traber about sports probably 90 percent of the time. I think heís pretty dead on a lot. Heís right about Michael Vick. He spot on about steroids in baseball. I love that he doesnít beat around the bush and that he just says what heís thinking. It makes for good radio. Though I donít always like the way he handles his show or himself, itís not like heís a Skip Bayless type lunatic. But when heís off, heís WAY off and the worst part is, heís far too prideful to back off. And if for the crazy fact he sees this and feels the need to call me out Ė yes Jim, Iím a tiny little blogger. Iím not anonymous and Iím not hiding behind anything. My name is Royce Young (email royceyoung41@gmail.com) and I think youíre being a fool. Iím not some guy that hates you or thatís jealous of your life. Iím just a sports fan in Oklahoma that thinks youíve overstepped sanity this time. Come and get me brother. Iím ready to be called a fool. I just hope you can handle being called one too.

Column Jim Traber, Nick Collison, Unbelievable Stupidity

IP IP Logged
chewy75
Big Daddy
Big Daddy

Quote chewy75 Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:22am
people fighting over twitter what has this world come too
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:25am
my twitter can beat up your twitter
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:40am
DailyThunder.com

Never heard of it.  Does this website have a direct association with the Thunder?

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, I am happy to be in OKC but would rather live in San Diego, Calgary, Seattle, Aruba or a bunch of other places.  But I think I will just stay here and then retire in Stillwater some day.
IP IP Logged
bixbyfellow
Big Daddy
Big Daddy

Quote bixbyfellow Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:47am
I thought Nick was very professional the other day when he called into Jim's show. He showed alot of class and this should not be an issue at all. Nick likes Seattle and I think that is great. Seattle is a very nice city.
IP IP Logged
trainer73096
Big Daddy
Big Daddy

Quote trainer73096 Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:22am
Jim was wrong. Cheer Collison. The End!
What the hell is this??? First Place??? Whoaaaaa cool!
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:26am
Why don't you come over here and say that like a man...facebook to facebook. ;-)
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:30am
Just wait til I post a bulletin on MySpace!!!!!!
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:30am
From the dailythunder ABOUT link....

I recently graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a degree in journalism, where in my time there I was a three-year staff writer for the Oklahoma Daily (OUís student paper). Among other things, I covered the 2007-08 OU football team where I shook Adrian Petersonís hand and Kevin Wilson once called me by name Ė easily the highlights of my journalism career.

IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Fishfan

From the dailythunder ABOUT link....

I recently graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a degree in journalism, where in my time there I was a three-year staff writer for the Oklahoma Daily (OUís student paper). Among other things, I covered the 2007-08 OU football team where I shook Adrian Petersonís hand and Kevin Wilson once called me by name Ė easily the highlights of my journalism career.

IP IP Logged
OKCJim
Yard Bird
Yard Bird

Quote OKCJim Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 9:57am
If you follow the Thunder that daily thunder site has good updates and info on it everyday.  The guy may not like Traber (he's going to defend the Thunder player everytime I'm guessing) but he does a great job on the daily updates.   
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 10:06am
Originally posted by OKCJim

If you follow the Thunder that daily thunder site has good updates and info on it everyday.  The guy may not like Traber (he's going to defend the Thunder player everytime I'm guessing) but he does a great job on the daily updates.   

All of that and you're getting info straight from the fingertips of a hand that has touched the hand of AD.
IP IP Logged
WINGSHOOTER
Yard Bird
Yard Bird

Quote WINGSHOOTER Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 12:09pm
I personally don't have any problem with the call.  Other than can someone explain why they sign up to follow someone on twitter and get an update of someone saying it is hot outside.  Stalking?
">http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/default/2c/2e/142818.jpg
IP IP Logged
snowman
Big Daddy
Big Daddy

Quote snowman Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by cro1

my twitter can beat up your twitter

can not!!!  DAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay at home moms have the toughest job in the world? Really? How many of them died on Ice Road Truckers last year? -Bill Burr
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:08pm
BOB355

IP IP Logged
pseanmurray
Yard Bird
Yard Bird

Quote pseanmurray Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:30pm
I'm a big Traber fan and supporter. I was embarrassed for him when Collison went on the show and Traber kept digging himself deeper.

Then again, this feud could be an entertaining subplot for this sports year.

Traber may just be crazy like a fox (ratings) or he might be accidentally good at his job.
IP IP Logged
SoonerZeke
Big Daddy
Big Daddy

Quote SoonerZeke Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by pseanmurray

I'm a big Traber fan and supporter. I was embarrassed for him when Collison went on the show and Traber kept digging himself deeper.

Then again, this feud could be an entertaining subplot for this sports year.

Traber may just be crazy like a fox (ratings) or he might be accidentally good at his job.
I like his ability to have a strong opinion too, but calling someone out like that for no reason was ridiculous.  Kudos to Nick for standing up like a man and dealing with it. 
IP IP Logged
bkzumalt02
Big League
Big League

Quote bkzumalt02 Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 5:43pm
Why is this even a story?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Yoda
"Try not, do or do not, there is no try."
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 5:57pm
It was nice knowing ya OKC Jim........
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 17 August 2009 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by POISON

It was nice knowing ya OKC Jim........
Why would he get banned for posting this story that he stated he didnt agree with?
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version